February 24, 2015, Mt. Prospect, IL –Today’s financial institutions (FIs) must use every channel available to build their brand – from brick-and-mortar branches to mobile and call centers, and the ATM channel remains one of the most important ways FIs interact with their customers. In fact, over 80 percent of FIs view ATMs as a “very” or “extremely important” customer touch-point.1 Likewise 74 percent of customers ranked convenience of ATM locations important when selecting a financial institution.2
ATMs are a key branding tool for FIs to strengthen brand awareness, increase customer loyalty and even drive additional revenue opportunities. A strong ATM channel strategy – including machine branding – is a must have. Cummins Allison, the leading innovator and provider of check, currency and coin handling solutions, as well as ATMs, outlines six benefits of branding ATMs.
1. Visually motivate machine usage. Branded ATMs draw attention to machines and stimulate new business. A non-branded machine blends into the background and may not be noticed. Branding calls attention to the machine and increases usage.
2. Differentiate yourself from competitors. FIs can set themselves apart with attention-getting signage and surrounds. A strong visual identity can promote usage – even with non-customers –and positively impact your FIs brand. Seventy-seven percent of U.S. respondents agreed that banks employing digital signage are more innovative than those that don’t, and banks that are seen as innovative also scored more highly for customer satisfaction.3
3. Build awareness and customer loyalty. ATMs are a convenient service that is expected by your customers. Branding aligns your customer to your organization. According to a recent Gallup study, customers aligned with your brand give it twice as much share of wallet.
4. Clarify and reinforce your message. ATMs let you use visual storytelling to connect with your customers. Compelling images can communicate your brand promise – and they also allow you to cross-sell other products, increasing revenue. ATMs can and should serve as an additional channel to deliver marketing and product messages.
5. Strike an emotional note with customers. ATMs can and should serve as an additional channel to deliver your marketing messages. A conscious, deliberate message can strike a chord to drive new business or win repeat business.
6. Promote continuity across your footprint. Effective use of your ATMs includes branding and message continuity. Non-branded ATMs can detract or dilute other marketing or channel efforts, and in effect, dilute customer loyalty.
ATMs are a highly used banking channel. In a recent survey, 59 percent of respondents indicated that they use an ATM at least once per week.4 Branding your ATMs can help to ensure that every interaction reinforces your FIs’ messages and services; boosting loyalty and generating new opportunities. To learn more visit www.cumminsallison.com/atm.
1 Cummins Allison, “Industry Survey: The Changing Face of the ATM Market”
2 Dieringer Research Group Conjoin Consumer Study
3 STRATACACHE, "Understanding the Role of Digital Signage in Retail Banking”
About Cummins Allison
Cummins Allison is the leading innovator and provider of check, currency and coin handling solutions, as well as full-function ATMs. Our world-class sales and service network includes hundreds of local representatives in more than 50 offices in North America, 6 wholly-owned subsidiaries and is represented in more than 70 countries around the world. For more information about our award-winning solutions, visit www.cumminsallison.com.